Friday, January 29, 2010

Scrap Reduction


I am on a mission to do some "stash busting" in my sewing room. It seems like I have been cutting fabric for days and I don't feel as though I have made any head way. I went through two rather large garbage bags of fabric that were given to me. I pulled out anything with any amount of yardage and put it in a box. Then I pulled out all of the little pieces, pressed them and cut them into pieces for quilts. I decided that while I was doing that I would cut fabric for several quilts. I am so proud of the organization that I did for this huge undertaking. I labeled several boxes with quilt names and fabric size requirements. I have been cutting 3 inch strips, 2 inch strips, some 5 and some 7 inch squares and then cutting 1 1/2 inch strips for scrappy log cabins. I did manage to get to the bottom of the large box of bits and pieces of fabric so I guess that I am making some progress. I am anxious to just sit at the sewing machine with a box and sew the pieces into a quilt. I have already decided that I am not going to be able to just cut, cut, cut. I need some sewing time too. In the bottom of the box of bits and pieces were some juvenile pieces. I am currently in the process of cutting them for yet another quilt. I am almost finished cutting them, so the next step will be to sew the pieces into blocks. Maybe once I get some sewing time in I will be feel like doing some more fabric cutting.

No comments: