Friday, September 18, 2009

Firemen's Memorial


My husband, Steve has been a volunteer fire fighter here in Hillman for over 30 years. I am very proud of him and his service to our community. He has also created a Fire Ministry for the Hillman Fire Department, offering financial help to those who lose their homes to fire. This weekend is the 30th Annual Firemen's Memorial Festival in Roscommon. We are planning to go to the festival tomorrow. A highlight of the festival for me is the parade. It consists mainly of fire trucks and rescue vehicles all running their flashing lights and sirens. They also hold a very emotional memorial service at the monument for fire fighters who have lost their lives in the line of duty. Some of the other activities include water ball contests, demonstrations, a flea market, craft show, a chicken barbeque, music, vendor booths, fire trucks galore and carnival rides. We are planning to take our 4 year old grandson, London with us tomorrow. It will be his first Firemen's Memorial. Speaking of London, he started pre-school this week. He and his Mom invited me to go woth them on the first day of school. I felt so honored to be invited. Today was his "official" first day of school. He and his Mom both told me that he was very excited and had no tears. He met a new friend and he told us his name is Rocco. He and Rocco had fun playing with Thomas the Train and the dirt bikes. Mom (Tasha) shared with me that this has been a tough week for her. Her "little man" grew up really fast this week. I told her I remember those days. Any stories to share?

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hi there,

I took my kids to the Fireman's Monument this summer. What a neat place! I hope you had a good day today.

Thunder Bay Resort Quilter's Retreat said...

Becky,

We had a great time at the Memorial and the parade. And of course I forgot to take the camera!!