Friday, February 6, 2009

"Vintage Pin Cushions"

I made these little "Vintage Pin Cushions" as a little gift for my Guild members. We are doing a Block of the Month through my Quilt Guild. I challenged the members to complete each block within the month that they receive the pattern. I will be doing a drawing at the end of the year and giving a prize to one of the members who has been keeping up with the blocks. As a little extra gift I gave these little pin cushions out yesterday to 13 of the members who had completed their blocks. I found this fabric in our Guild fabric stash. I cut the blocks at 3 inches and then sewed and stuffed the pin cushions. I thought they turned out so cute.
I attended a Quilter's Retreat earlier this week at a hotel in Mackinaw City, Michigan. (Hi Nancy and Pat!!). I had big plans of doing lots of button hole stitching with my Janome Jem Platinum. Well, my sewing machine decided that it didn't want to do button hole stitches. A wonderful friend, Dora let me use her machine and I was able to get my Snowman Block of the Month January block stitched and I also got a flower block stitched. Thank you so much Dora for rescuing me. I also made a small flag wall hanging from a kit that I had bought several years ago. I was able to get it pieced, machine quilted and bound. I also put together a small log cabin wall hanging from a kit that I had purchased 3 years ago. I still need to add the vines and flower buds. I will do those by hand. I really enjoyed using the kits. I didn't have to think about and choose colors and cut everything. I was able to just sit and sew. I have a few more kits waiting for me so I think I will be pulling those out some day and working on those. Oh, by the way, my favorite sewing machine repair man (a.k.a. my husband) has my sewing machine repaired so I will be back in business for the next retreat that starts in thirteen more days!!!!!

No comments: