Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I posted a week ago about my brother-in-law undergoing major surgery in Boston. He is doing great. He spent 5 days in ICU, and 3 days in a step down unit. He was released from the hospital and is now staying in a hotel close to the hospital. The nurses go to the hospital to check up on him. Today he sees the Dr. so we are anxious to get the report. Family and friends put together a benefit dinner/live auction/chinese raffle to help my sister and brother-in-law with expenses. It was a crazy day but also a very fun day. We fed close to 700 people and collected a very nice sum of money to help with expenses and bills. Of course, being a quilter I decided that we needed to do a quilt for Perrin. I cut 4 1/2 inch squares of muslin and asked people to sign quilt blocks. Since Perrin is a hunter I decided to used camouflage fabric for the sashings. I was at Delphine's Quilt Shop last week for the Prairie Women's Sewing Circle Club meeting and was telling Delphine and Donna about my project. Donna suggested that I use the Fun and Done - quilt as you go method to complete the quilt. I have two of the Fun and Done patterns but have not tried them yet. Donna showed me a sample in the store. So when I got home I did some experimenting. So far I am liking the way it is turning out, although I have only completed two blocks so far. I am going to make the quilt reversible with camo on 1 side and black on the other. I have to do some un-sewing as I had already started adding sashings to the blocks but that is ok. I think I am going to like this method and the outcome. I was hoping to have the quilt done before they came home from Boston - I guess I had better get cracking.

No comments: