Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Quilt #1 of my 5 Scrappy Quilt Goal
I have set a goal for myself to use up some of my stash and to make 5 scrap quilt tops this year. I have been spending a lot of time cutting scraps into various sizes and shapes for several quilts. I decided I needed to take a break from cutting and do a little sewing. I pulled out the fabrics that I needed to make one of these baby quilts. The name of the block is Savannah Stones and I found it in an older Quick Quilts magazine. Either there is a misprint in the pattern or my 1/4 inch wasn't very accurate for this project. I did a lot of fighting with the first 4 blocks so decided that was all I was going to make for a small baby quilt. I guess I really am a slow learner as I decided to cut down the center blocks and that made a world of difference. Then I moved on to making 9 more blocks and they went together very well. So now the small quilt has some issues in that the center blocks are just a tad too big. I have been told that those can be called A cup, B cup, C cup, etc. I have also heard that those minor imperfections can be "quilted out." Since I will just be doing a meandering quilting stitch I think I will give that a try. My first thought was to go back, tear the quilt apart and start over and then I thought, "No way, a little baby will never know that there was a problem with the blocks."
PS - Winter came back, well at least a little bit. After I finished my blocks yesterday I decided to take advantage of the temps in the low 30's and take a walk. It was very refreshing. We got just a skiff of snow last night and with the sun shining the flakes look like diamonds twinkling. Perhaps there will be another walk this afternoon!