Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Combat Quilt Camp




I was very lucky to attend the 4th Annual Combat Quilt Camp last weekend in Alpena. The camp gets its name because it is held at the Combat Readiness Training Center a.k.a Air Force Base. We slept in the barracks and ate all of our meals in the mess hall. We had 80+ quilters there along with 3 vendors. I had a great time sewing, visiting with many friends and enjoying some quality time with my sister Carol. I worked on piecing together 3 of the blocks from our Guild's Block of the Month program. The blocks are very simple and made with 2 1/2 inch wide strips. I decided to use my collection of 1930's reproduction fabrics for this quilt. I had 4 blocks cut out but discovered I was missing one small piece from the 4th block. I also made a preemie quilt top for my favorite charity, Tiny Miracles. I had cut this top out many years ago and just never got it pieced. I am not sure the final result is what I had planned but it is put together. I also have been working hard at reducing some stash in my sewing room. I sewed together several 4 patche blocks using 2 inch squares. I used fusible web to make the alphabet blocks and then started putting together a scrappy teaching quilt. My great niece Tatum will be 3 in August and I thought she would enjoy this quilt. I still have to make a few more 4 patch blocks to complete the top. All of the 2 inch squares are cut so it won't take long to make up the blocks. Thanks to Pat, Jenny and Megan for a great camp.

No comments: