Tuesday, June 15, 2010

To Mulch Or Not To Mulch




To mulch or not to mulch, that is my question. Although I love plants and flowers I don't really consider myself to have a "green thumb". In fact, given a choice between dirt and a shovel or my sewing machine I would much rather spend time with my sewing machine. We had a very small flower bed just outside our back door. We have had the same plants there for many years. I do not know the name of the plant but it was a very invasive plant. Last week Steve and I finally got around to digging out the invasive plant. I had bought a couple of hostas so we got those planted. Steve likes to have some color (other than green) in the flower beds so we bought a couple of annuals and a couple more periennials. Hopefully I can get them planted before it rains today. My day lillies are just beautiful in another flower bed. We bought a couple more and hopefully they will produce in a couple of years. Back to the mulch - what do you think? Steve is concerned about bugs making homes in the wood mulch close to the house. I would appreciate ideas and suggestions.

1 comment:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I'd mulch if I were you, unless you really love pulling weeds and watering. I use grass clipping to mulch my flowers, though you wouldn't want to do that if you had used any weed spray on the yard.