Thursday, August 13, 2009

Block of the Month Quilts



Have you ever done a quilt using the Block of the Month method or a Mystery Quilt? The Guild I belong to has 2 Blocks of the Month going right now. Because of my hospitalization, surgery and recovery I am behind. A week or so ago I got back to working on catching up on one of the BOM's. The first picture shows some of the blocks sitting next to my sewing machine. The second picture is of a BOM quilt I did in 2007. I found the pattern on the internet from Fat Cat patterns. They have lots of fun patterns on their site. The bears on the quilt had names so I did some minor changes and added their names by hand embroidering the names to strips of fabric. I love the way the quilt turned out. I have a couple of older BOM quilts started and am thinking that this winter will be a good time to pull them out and get them finished. One of the quilts is flower blocks and I am using my hand dyed fabrics with black backgounds. I am doing machine button hole stitching and it is taking a long time. The second quilt is a Christmas quilt with two different size blocks. There are no instructions on how to cut the sashings so I have to be creative and do some math. That is a bit tough for me as I am very much a "pattern person". I would love to hear about your Block of the Month quilts and experiences.

1 comment:

Carol Sc said...

I have done a few BOM --- I like to set them differently, so usually pull out the graph paper and move the blocks around with different "spacers" --- right now I am chairing a mystery for our small guild --- always very interesting to see the same units/blocks with different fabrics and sets. I really enjoy the creativity these projects push us to.