Friday, January 16, 2009

Block of the Month Quilt

Have you ever done a Block of the Month Quilt? I have been involved in several block of the month quilts and have truly enjoyed them. I made this block last night. It is part of folkart quilt we are doing through our Quilt Guild. The stars and moon are fused. The house and tree blocks are paper pieced. I feel that I need a lot of practice with paper piecing. I am proud to say though that with thse 2 small blocks I only had to "unsew" one time. Our Guild has a second Block of the Month going and I will post a picture of the January block later. I have it fused and plan to do some machine button hole stitching on it when I have some time. If you haven't particpated in a block of the month I urge you to check it out and challenge yourself. There are lots of Block of the Month quilts on the internet and in several quilt magazines.
I have challenged the members of my Guild to make the blocks as they are presented. They have to show their January block or blocks in February, their February block in March and so on. I will keep a list of names of those who have completed their blocks in the assigned time. Then we will have a drawing at the end of the year for a couple of prizes. I am also planning to give some small monthly prizes. I was thinking of small pin cushions and maybe some of the Ditty bags. Anyone have any suggestions for quick and easy gifts that I can make as prizes? I am looking for ideas. Thanks!

No comments: